Steps to take to get the consent code for registration of associations

Steps to take to get the consent code for registration of associations

Rahmah Mustapha

Editor’s Note: Saheed Akinola Esq, the Managing Partner of Choiceland solicitors. In this latest article, he explains Steps to apply for the consent code for registration of associations

Saheed is a legal practitioner, human right crusader, property lawyer and business advisor. He  could be contacted through +2348032493960,

CAC has digitalized its operation to ease registration of companies and associations in Nigeria. Therefore, applicants are now required to obtain consent code for registration under Incorporated Trustee

The first step is to apply for the Consent of the Registrar General of the Corporate Affairs Commission (CAC) to register associations, clubs, foundations, religious bodies which are registrable under Incorporated Trustee.

Go to CAC portal if you are an existing user, you will sign in with your user name and password. If you are a first time user, you will open an account with CAC by signing up.

Once the dashboard opens, click on name reservation tab and pick new reservation


The first step is for you to fill the incorporated Trustee details i.e the proposed names of the Association


The next thing you will do is to save and proceed to the page where you will fill the information regarding the association.

You have to type all the proposed aims and objectives of the association


The next thing is for you to supply the names and information of all the trustees of the association

  • Preview you filled data for correction of possible errors
  • You will then proceed to payment online through your debit card. After which you will submit and wait for consent code before you proceed with the publication and registration of your association, club, foundation or religious body.

You are not required to upload any document at this stage. A letter to the Registrar General of CAC is no longer required.

Please note that Corporate Affairs Commission (CAC) has the right to disapprove name(s) that are:

  • capable of misleading as to the nature and extent of its activities undesirable, offensive or contrary to public policy
  • identical with or similar to the name of a registered company or limited liability partnership is in the course of dissolution and signifies its consent in the manner prescribed by the Commission
  • contain the phrase “Chamber of Commerce” unless it is a company limited by guarantee
  • would violate existing trade mark, limited partnership or business name unless with the consent of the owner of the trade mark, limited partnership or business name
  • would violate any incorporated trustee unless with the consent of the trustees

Please note that whatever information you supply cannot be changed until after registration is completed.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *